Thursday 1 January 2009

Pink and fluffy

It's New Years Day and the mood is pink and fluffy.

We certainly had pink cheeks after a brisk trot around the marina, a rummage through the lobster pots and pausing to admire the harbour mouth.




A pink flower on a snazzy cap - yes, Nana has had her crochet hook out again.



A pink mantle for the New Year. The colour of calm, quiet and acceptance. Hearts and flowers.




Still lots of candles as we wait for the sun to return to full strength, splashes of red and fiery orange too.



A beautiful card from a friend I once studied with and thought I had lost touch with since she moved miles away.



Flushes of pink as I deliberate whether to start our studies this coming Monday or the Monday after. Flushes of pink as I try to decide if the study of rivers comes under the category of geography or biology. Oh, and then there are the thoughts of all the cool places I hope we will visit on our river studies. Reservoirs, lakes, sea, damns, locks, river mouths, high level trickling streams and more. Have any of you guys ever seen the Severn Bore? I would so like to see that and take Hermione there too. It's been featured on the TV programme 'Coast' a couple of times and it always fascinates me. To be honest the sea totally fascinates me. A friend thinks I'm fascinated by the sea because I know on a certain level that very evolved beings come from the sea - perhaps I think if I hang around long enough on the shore line I might get some sense *grin*.


I suspect we will leave studies till the Monday after as it's my uncle's funeral on Wednesday coming and he has specifically requested and arranged for there to be a big celebration after the formal bits. I think that's cool. I know there is often the obligatory drink and sandwich after a funeral but for someone to make arrangements for a specific venue and itinerary is rather special I feel. An ongoing sense of fun and happiness. A celebration of life, the way he touched our lives and the memories that will live on.


You know what this pink picture reminds me of? Marbled paintings we made and used to back our exercise books with when I was in Mrs Sweeny's class aged nine. Those marble effects have made a lasting impression upon me. So pretty. I know Hermione wants to use exercise books this year and we will - but perhaps we can make really pretty paintings and use them to cover them. Even if they don't inspire her I'm sure they will make lesson time brighter for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember marbling paper!!
Z & I are making a heart garland too. I love the floer on H's hat

Anonymous said...

you've made me feel pink , thank you :-)
Hope 2009 b rings all you want it to xx

Always Learning said...

What lovely photos.

I've seen the Severn Bore and it really is something. We went and stayed at a travel lodge near by, on a cheap deal. It was on the return journey from a holiday and coincided with one of the highest tides.

We did this with friends who also HE'd, the kids were impressed, but so were we, to see the river drifting along it's natural course, then to see it come charging much higher round the bend in the opposite direction is something to behold.

I'd say it was worth doing, just don't stand too close to the edge, as the water does rise and it's very fast!

CJ x

Anonymous said...

All very pink, a close friend of mine had invites printed out for his funeral and strict step by step instructions and a few jokes on the card, probably sounds a bit weird but it was very special, a celebration of his life and a waving rather than a sad affair. Will be thinking of you x

Claire said...

*a waving rather than a sad affair*

I like that - it sums it up well.