Wednesday 8 December 2010

Am I being a Grinch about this?

Warning, this is the annual pantomime moan. It may be that you wish to stop reading now.

Why do pantomimes, a productions aimed at children, include so much smut these days? I've just sat through an afternoon of Cinderella aka 'the floozy' and two ugly sisters aka 'top totty'. Hermione will no doubt have heard these phrases before and even if she doesn't understand them will know not to repeat them...Miles on the other hand may well call the next pretty little girl he sees a floozy *sigh*.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No you are not. I took a whole Y2 year group to a pantomime last year and complained in writing about the innuendo and smut that prevailed throughout. Colleagues with Y6 pupils did not know where to put themselves. It went over the heads of our lot, thank God. I'm with you all the way. Its for children, but, alas, it seems to be the way of the world.
Susi x

Claire said...

I'm pleased it's not just me who feels this way. Last year I ended up feeling cross but thought it was a one off. Seemingly it wasn't and judging by a couple of people I have spoken to this evening many productions are even worse. It's sad, but I think you are right, it is the way of the world these days. What happened to the innocence of childhood eh? x