Wednesday 23 November 2011

Lantern challenge


For the past few years I have looked at other folks blogs and coveted their paper lanterns. Last week I decided that this was the year that I would finally connect with my inner Rudolf and take the plunge into lantern making.

I took one of Miles' watercolour painting and lightly oiled the back. I used olive oil as it was all I had to hand, but later regretted that as I had no idea just how thirsty watercolour weight paper could be! Crikey, I could have roasted four trays of seasoned root veggies in that amount of oil!

I then waited a couple of days for it to dry out and then set about making a template and cutting out twelve pentagons. What followed was much tedious measuring, scoring, folding and sticking. Finally I had a beautiful star lantern, which if you disregard the fact I had cut off the wrong flaps and could only stand it upside down, it is nigh on perfect (in an upside down kinda way).

Since I can only stand it upside down I obviously couldn't place a real candle in it. Thankfully we live in the age of battery tea lights.

It's now gracing our nature table, surrounded by gnomes, and looking ever so pretty if I do say so myself. It's rather elusive and I've struggled to capture a half decent picture of it, but here it is none the less.

It was my plan to make one for all of my friends as an advent gift. A sort of little light on the dark days leading up to Christmas. I've since decided that we'd be well into spring before I managed to make enough so I'll just have to tell everyone I did at least have the thought, and should I practice really hard an actual lantern may materialize in time for advent 2012. If anyone has any good links to help me on my way they'd be graciously received.




2 comments:

knitty said...

Try 'Home baked'.

Claire said...

Ah, is that Hannah's place? Must go and look. Thank you.