Tuesday 11 November 2008

Saving the best till last

We cut into our last pumpkin yesterday - an absolutely huge one. We had heard that Uncle Brian loves pumpkin pie so we saved it until now when he is here.

We may have still had more had I known better about allowing them to ripen on the plant. I think I picked them too early this year and consequently they didn't store well. We live and learn!






Pumpkin soup and pumpkin pie for dinner last night and me and Miles are just about to start transforming what was left into yet another pumpkin pie!

We have saved and dried some seeds for next year. I'm not sure if they will work - perhaps it's not so simple as that? We'll give it a try.

I was reading the other day that now is a good time to sew an early crop of broad beans. Sounds like a good idea but we'll have to sort out or chicken dilemmas before then - more on the chicken dilemmas another day.

3 comments:

Bridget said...

We dried seeds one year and planted them the next and they grew OK. You don't know until you try do you?

Claire said...

That's right. It's worth a try!

Anonymous said...

It's definitely worth a try :)