Sunday 30 November 2008

Counting down

Ok, I think I've got it sussed. Our advent calender come planner is done. Each little bag contains an activity for the day, a joke and a couple of sweeties, shells or fir cones. I've got a list of all of the activities so that I know what is coming up and when we're doing what.



Some bags have pictures on to indicate a particular day such as when we go for the Christmas tree. I'm hoping this will stop me having to answer the same question over, and over, and over again, as the kids will be able to see for themselves when things are happening.



The bags are attached to two bamboo canes which I sprayed gold and stuck in a big plant pot. I didn't buy luggage labels for the numbers in the end - I just cut the labels from some brown paper. Hermione decorated that lovely star on the top herself.


I'm not sure what that strange white circle is to the right of the plant. I thought perhaps it was an orb of light but Craig is quite confident it's dust on my camera lens. Really, he has no imagination!

It was only after I had started making the bags that I stumbled across a picture of this beautiful calender above. It's very pretty and no doubt would have been a lot easier to make! Never mind, maybe next time...

8 comments:

Bridget said...

The simple things are always the best. Your " bag tree" for the want of another name is amazing. It's such a brilliant idea. I hope I have enough time to do something similar.

Anonymous said...

I like yours, I will probably copy that idea :0) I think its an orb :0)

Claire said...

If it's any help to either of you I have loads of one liner kiddies xmas jokes in a word document now which I could email to you. Would just need printing and cutting into strips. I pulled them off some joke sites last night.

Jenny Bear said...

Brilliant

stefndawniy said...

I go for saying it's an orb too :)
you're so very organised . . . i'm going to try to do something similar you've inspired me.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that's great

Elizabeth (My Reading World) said...

I love the idea of your 'bag tree'. What sight did you get the jokes from--my two are just starting to try and tell jokes and I can't remember any!

Claire said...

Hi Elizabeth

I haven't kept a note of the links but I am happy to send you the list that I copied and pasted into a word document if that helps. I've an email link in my profile :-)