Monday 26 March 2012

Neo Classical Architecture

I never cease to be amazed at the things I learn as a home educating mother. Really, in the acquisition of knowledge stakes, I'm sure this time totally overshadows my lengthy university days.

Hermione's Art Award is weaving a very broad and meandering path; so much so that I suspect we may only be able to cover basics (maths and English), plus Arts Award discoveries for the coming two or three months.

Yesterday saw us visit Newcastle Upon Tyne in search of Neo Classical architecture. Hermione has chosen The Statue of Liberty as the central hub of her project. Sadly, we couldn't manage a field trip to New York, so we set off somewhere closer to home to see examples of other Neo Classical works.

Had someone asked me a few days ago to identify examples of Neo Classical architecture I would have struggled; not so now I'm pleased to say!





This one below, the Moot Hall, is my favorite; not because of the lawyer in me but because of it's clean lines and simplicity. I think it's striking.

















Incidentally, I think one of the main triggers for choosing the Statue of Liberty as a central theme was this YouTube clip which we first watched a couple of years ago.


No comments: