Tuesday 5 May 2009

Honey, I killed the tadpoles and the chooks..

..well not quite I'm pleased to say.

The children have been badgering me to have tadpoles since they stumbled across a few in the formal pond at our local botanic garden. Yes, free range children do venture into ponds, provided free range parent hasn't just cleaned out the car (something which happens as often as the Pope pops out for a pint).

At the weekend we relented and visited a local country park complete with nets and large containers to fill with pond water. We returned home with eight tadpoles. Now, I wasn't at all easy about this in light of the recent demise of all our other fish. I frantically searched the internet trying to pick up tips on how best to care for them. I came across this post and really could have written it myself. I am so pleased to have learned that it is normal for them to appear dead. I would have hated to have had to start looking into tadpole euthanasia too. I am still having nightmares about the last goldfish in the freezer.

So, brace yourself folks for what will hopefully be a very successful tadpole project complete with photos and updates. I would quite like to build a pond in the garden for them but I'm concerned that the chooks would gobble them up for breakfast.

Anyway, whilst observing the tadpoles and getting ever so excited about a money saving site I heard about on a home ed list I totally forgot about the chooks and have just had to go roaming around the pitch black garden like the Hen Whisperer trying to find them and carry them to their bed where they can be safely shut up.

If you shop online I suggest you check out http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ I have saved £18 on a £120 shop this evening. I found it a little frustrating as it is slower to load than the supermarket sites and I'm also concerned that it doesn't check the offers are valid for your delivery date, however, on the whole it seems very good. Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

Right, I'm off to bed to try to catch up on my sleep after a spending most of last night tending the sick and stressing about the fleece enclosure around my pumpkin patch in the high winds. Hopefully I shall sleep well as I've been getting a little uptight about jobs around the house and garden lately but a group of folks from our local community currency organisation are coming over at the weekend for a bit of a Clean n Dig pot luck lunch. Cleaning and or digging is not compulsory but I hope that plenty will turn up armed with spades or dusters. Apparently someone is even going to offer prize for the snazziest pinny partaking in a pinny parade!
One last thing - if there is anyone out there within reasonable distance of Saint John, New Brunswick in Canada then please feel free to pop along to the opening of this new art studio. Tell Helen that her big sister sent you and I'd like to think she'd give you a discount.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tadpoles are brilliant :0)