Tuesday 19 May 2009

Tightening the reigns and lightening the load

Life is as busy as ever round here at the moment. Yet another chock-a-block week with next week filling rapidly too. I need to scale down our gallivanting. I need to stop saying that whilst doing nothing about it - something which happens regularly.

Hermione is asking to do more and more 'work'. I feel delighted but also very challenged by her thirst for knowledge at the moment. She was just saying as she toddled off to bed tonight that she wants to do more work and more playing in the garden. Sounds good. I must learn to resist the urge when people call to say the kettle is on and the cake will be out of the oven soon.

Thankfully I have had a couple of wonderful offers from other home edding friends. One lady is going to do some science stuff with Hermione. She has a scientific background and is able to make it really fun in a way which I struggle to do. Another home edding friend is going to give Hermione some one to one creative writing sessions to help her to build on her existing skills in that area. I really like the idea of extending my skill sharing mentality into home ed too - although I will have to figure out what I could possibly offer!

I had hoped for a relaxing evening this evening but I've had to help make alterations to the barrier around my pumpkin patch. Another chook managed to make their way in there today and decimated another pumpkin plant in the time it took me to sprint up the garden and yank her out. Sheesh, they are rascals...

I need to remember to take my camera up the patch one of these days. We're eating rocket, chard, mixed baby leaves and radishes at the moment. The runner beans in the greenhouse are doing great. I think they may start to flower within a week or two making for a very early crop all being well. The tomatoes have lots of fruit on too just waiting to ripen. Broad beans are in flower. All in the garden is rosy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

skill sharing sounds really good - what about offering craft sessions?

Claire said...

Yes, I think that is what I'll do. I forget that there are many parents who do not know how to knit, crochet and sew to be able to pass that on.