Sunday 17 May 2009

Ugly Duckling, a guided tour and shiny blankets

What a weekend! I think I need a full week off to recover!

On Saturday morning Miles and I headed on out for his first ever trip to the theatre. I was a little apprehensive as I had no idea how he would take to it. We went to see The Ugly Duckling by Travelling Light and Tobacco Factory Productions. I'm pleased to say he really enjoyed it. He sat with eyes as wide as saucers throughout - over an hour with no interval. Afterwards we had a look around an art gallery and then went for lunch. It is very rare that Miles and go out and spend time together just the two of us, away from the house. It felt different and I'd like to do more of it.

While Miles and I were out and about, Craig, Hermione and Nana went to some corporate horsey event for racing and buffet lunch.

On Saturday evening Hermione and I headed into town for a guided tour of Tudor Durham organised by the Education Officers at the Archaeology Museum. Thankfully the torrential downpours held off and the walk was extremely informative, if not a bit long and extremely tiring, (Durham is a very hilly and cobbled city), at the end of what was already a long day. Following the tour we were back to the museum for lamb's wool, a traditional Tudor drink made from baked apples and to try our hand at writing with a feather. These were pheasant feathers but apparently the Tudors would have used goose.



We learned a lot on the tour but I'm uncertain of how much Hermione was able to absorb at the time as it was long and tiring. I mentioned the possibility of doing a bit of a project about it but she wasn't keen on that idea. Next weekend we are joining with a couple of local families for a night of Family Fortunes fun. I think we may throw in a quick quiz too about historical Durham. Hermione's much more enthusiastic about this than a project, although the result is the same - she will read up about various things and think about it albeit to sort out quiz questions instead of doing something formal.

This morning I earthed up the potatoes *again*. I also hung the hanging baskets - all planted with edible stuff from nasturtiums to various leaves. With a little bit of help from Craig I finished my sprouting broccoli bed and removed more prize weeds.

This afternoon we headed off to an organised Low Tide Day to celebrate our coastal heritage, do activities and join in a guided rock pool ramble.
To cut a long story short we hiked the long way from the car to the cliffy bank, down to the shore, yomped down dozens if not hundreds of steps, trekked about another half a mile along a very pebbly beach and finally landed at the rockpools where we spotted starfishes and crabs.
Within less than five minutes, (I exaggerate not), the heavens opened, the winds whipped up to an absolute frenzy and despite wearing jackets and coats we were soaked within minutes. We looked for shelter at the cliff face but there was none. Miles went a strange shade of green and wouldn't answer me. I had a mild stress, thought of what happened the other week and feared he was about to have a 'funny do'. Craig picked him up and we quickly headed off in the direction of the cliff steps but it was slow going on the rocks and with driving wind and rain. A St John's Ambulance worker who was manning the event sensed something was up and came across. He felt Miles was very very cold - and I agree despite him having his vest, a jumper, trousers and coat on. The weather was suddenly extreme. He got out a really large silver shiny blanket and wrapped Miles in it from head to toe. You could just see his eyes and nose. Before we knew it a man from a coastal heritage organisation was there too. It was thought it would be best if Craig ran up the banky cliff to go and get the car and bring it to the top and the men helped me to carry Miles over the rocks. We got to the top, bundled him in the car and sat feeling a bit shocked and wondering what next. At this point Miles looked up as chirpy as ever and enquired as to whether there was any juice or an apple in my bag!


Once out of his turkey wrapper he was rosy and warm - no more green flushes! Obviously I was just delighted he was okay. I don't think I over reacted. I'm quite pleased with myself really as I think it would have been very easy to over react. I stayed calm but was just mindful of what did happen recently and perhaps the need to be somewhere very close to immediate road links as opposed to off in the rocky wilds for the time being. The St John's guy and the man from the coastal heritage place were amazing. The man from coastal heritage carried him most of the way and looked like he needed oxygen at the top of the cliff!
The sun started to shine and it was hard to believe the weather had been so bad were it not that we were still soaked through. With Miles chirpy and happily munching his apple Hermione quickly had her face painted before we headed back home following our rather surreal trip.



Woof, woof!

No comments: