Saturday 17 December 2011

Scarves and Coca Cola Cake

Ah well, the log basket is stacked to overflowing, I'm all ready; yet there's still no sign of snow! It's been a damp and miserable day. The temperature has hovered just above freezing, there's been no sunshine as such, just cold grayness.

So, what's a family with seasonally hyped children to do on such a cold gray day? We hit the swimming baths! In our experience leisure centers are always quiet the week before Christmas. Thankfully it was quite quiet today and fun was had by all - those (all apart from me) who were in the pool, and, those who sat in the spectator area knitting (me).

I'm a novice knitter, or perhaps I should say a 'born again knitter' as I have knit in the past but hadn't done so for years, up until last week when I felt inspired by Hermione clicking away with her needles.

I knocked up a short green scarf for Miles with some wool we had lying around. The trouble with little ones and scarves is that in our experience they tend to hang out of the bottom of their jackets. So, here it is, holes and all! I know it's far from perfect - those darned stitches eluded me at times - but I did enjoy the process and Miles was wonderfully appreciative, even if he hasn't actually worn it as yet.



So, with one under my belt so to speak, I agreed to knit one for Hermione. We went into town to buy some yarn. There was very little choice in town, we'll probably have to shop on line or travel to a larger town next time. Anyway, she plumped for a pink eyelash yarn, which is knitting up quite nicely.



It took me a few rows to get to grips with this yarn. When you look at your needle it's not so easy to see the stitches for all the 'eyelashes'.





The other day I whisked up a Coca Cola Cake. I had spotted Coca Cola Cake in a retro diner when coffeeing with a friend a wee while ago. Having quite a Coke habit I thought it had to be the cake for me. I followed this recipe below.

Preheat oven to 350, and line your tins.

Mix:
2cups flour
2cups sugar
1/2tsp salt
1tsp baking powder
1/2tsp cinnamon

In a saucepan over medium high heat stir this up good until it boils:
1 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup coca-cola
1/2 cup milk
now take off heat and add that to the flour mix & whisk until combined.

Then add:
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
mix, put in pan, bake it for about 30minutes. Yes, it’s a quick bake. Don’t over-bake it!

Looking around on line most people add a frosting too but I figured there was already way too much fat and sugar in this one. I opted instead for sandwiching with strawberries, which of course won't negate the rest but won't add to it either!




Well, will I make it again? I don't even have to think about this one - no! It was good, but no better than a good chocolate cake and it had so much more sugar and fat in it. It was light and airy (you can see the big bubbles on the picture) and had a great flavor even if not entirely like Coke. If I do decide to do it again I think I'll tinker with the recipe.

3 comments:

knitty said...

I'm a novice knitter too and I've made quite a few scarves this season! (children, friends and family)- it is quite relaxing!

Claire said...

Yes, I'm amazed at how relaxing it is. I'm really enjoying it and since I'm using thick needles I'm seeing results quickly - which is always nice ;-)

knitty said...

yes. big needles and chunky wool are the way to go!! I quite like yarn with interesting textures ( it means to can't tell if the holes are part of the "overall effect!!"