Thursday 25 June 2009

The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah

You know how every now and then you get a moment to just kick back and say 'wow'? A bit like the calm in the storm if you know what I mean. Well amidst yet another very busy day today, (which I will no doubt recap in a round up soon), I had the good fortune to spend five minutes gazing upon the original Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, painted by John Martin in1852.




Now, the reality is I'm certainly no art buff but I was quite blown away by this picture. Seeing it here just doesn't do it justice. It sort of drew me in, churned me up and spat me out.

This has also prompted me to think that now that I have a colour printer I can print more works of art from online to strew around the house and discuss as and when.

2 comments:

stefndawniy said...

good idea , I'll be joining you in that :-)
my dad gave us a diary with a different piece of art for each week which has had us looking at some stuff we wouldn't normally.

Claire said...

The diary sounds good. It's all too easy to get stuck in a rut - with music, art, books and everything I think Sometimes it takes something out of the ordinary to push you beyond your usual taste zone.