Sunday 1 August 2010

Lammas blessings

The plan was to celebrate Lammas this weekend; bake the first loaf of the harvest, arrange the grains we harvested earlier this week, tell stories and so on....but it didn't happen. Hey ho, there's plenty of time. Every day for the past fortnight we have either been out and about or had folks round to chat and play. We're certainly due a couple of days home alone soon and we'll celebrate Lammas then. For now I'll satisfy myself with this beautiful image of the grain.

So, what have we been up to? Our travels took us to the coast. I love the sea. It draws me in.

There's something decidedly odd about this picture. The children are straight but the sea is wonky.

Father and son. Little and large. I do so love the men in my life. Shortly after I took this picture the heavens opened and we had to make a dash for the car in torrential rain. We loitered a wee while but it didn't stop. Ho hum, there's nothing quite like a picnic in the car!

We also explored, (and in Miles' case partook), in a medieval re enactment at the Bowes Museum. He just wasn't quite sure which side to join I feel.

We were regaled with tales of battles, barber surgeons (euuurgghhh!!!), medieval cookery, paper making techniques, weaving, herbal remedies and more. History certainly came to life for us this weekend!

Lammas blessings to you are yours. I hope the sun shone on you too.

x

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Lovely photos Claire :-)

My mum has just discovered that her great grandfather (I think that's the correct generation) was a stonemason who worked on Bowes Museum. I haven't been since I was a little girl - I think we're due a trip.