Tuesday 20 October 2009

Oxygen experiment, fine motor lentil stuff and willow aphids...

I'm trying to help Miles brush up on his fine motor skills. We painted using pipettes today and sorted beads from lentils. I enjoyed the bead sorting. Very therapeutic.

 


We experimented to see what happens when you place a jar over a lit candle. It goes out once it has burnt all of the oxygen in the jar.

 
Posted by Picasa


It also creates a vacuum which you can see quite clearly if you place the candle and jar on a plate of water, preferably coloured with food colouring. As the oxygen burns away the water is sucked up the jar. Obviously this will happen with or without colouring but colouring makes it easier to see.

 


I'm very concerned about my willow dome. It has been attacked by willow aphids. A real infestation of damn ugly bugs. They're horrid looking things. They make me feel really squeamish, they're just too spider like for me. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure the willow is sufficiently established to withstand them but I don't want to use chemicals. Miles tried to beat them into oblivion with a stick today but I think it was the willow that came off worse. Apparently high pressure water may help. Must sort that out. We certainly need them gone before Halloween as Hermione is hoping to decorate the dome this year. Could turn out to be truly beastly!

3 comments:

cheerymishmash said...

Apparently, they don't like garlic. You could maybe try spraying with a garlic infusion? We had aphids on our willow this year (not the big scary looking ones though!) but we just left them to it as Chi was fascinated by all the ants they attracted with their honeydew :-)Mandy

Claire said...

Ooooh, I'll try that. I'm not usually bothered by crawlies (unless they're spiders in which case I freak) but these are really gruesome looking!

Hannah said...

Wow, you've been so busy since the last time I visited your blog (which is a shamefully long time ago - sorry!). I love your ideas for improving fine motor skills.