Sunday 16 August 2009

Frankincense and myrrh

I'm really racing ahead of myself here. Yesterday it was tales of pumpkins and fallen leaf pictures. Today I filled the burner with herbs and resins. I love the smell of frankincense and myrrh.




When the frankincense begins to melt and mingle with the herbs you can almost smell that deep golden amber colour. You just can't fail to feel cosy when you're surrounded by such a rich and warming aroma.

This afternoon the men of the house were off to mess on the ferry boat - they both love boats. Hermione was lounging on the sofa with her duvet, watching Lassie, resting and trying to shrug off what seems to be the start of a cold. I pottered in the kitchen, washing fruit, arranging it in bowls and watching the leaves rustle and fall.

I breathed a silent sigh of relief as I watched the leaves, made a cup of cinnamon tea and surrounded myself with the warm aromas. It won't be long till we're into autumn. In some respects I can understand this silent sigh. Summer is such a busy time what with additional activities, trips away and meeting up with friends who usually go to school. It's nice when things quieten down again. But on the other hand, why can't I just appreciate what is now? I suppose I do appreciate what is now but I'm looking forward to what's to come too.

I'm getting better at living in the moment but I think I could benefit from doing it even more so. It made me think of one of my favourite meditations. It's one that we regularly do at meditation group and I think it was written by one of the founders of Aura Soma. Here is a small part that I can remember.

With each out breath focus on the letting go of all that has gone before this moment

Everything that dies in this world dies on an out breath

Everything that is born in this world is born on an in breath

So, in the letting go on the out breath we die to what we have been

And on the in breath we are born again into a new moment as a new being

With the influences of the being we were before

And all the potential and possibilities of what we are yet to be in the future

Each out breath a letting go

A letting go of all that has been before this moment

A letting go of any tensions in any place that is tight

Feel for an ease with the out breath spreading through the back of the neck

A letting go that the eye balls may settle in their sockets

A letting go that the breath may come and go freely in the belly

A letting go of all of the little muscles around the anus

A letting go of all of the muscles under the soles of the feet and around the toes

Each out breath a letting go

A letting go into the thought and feeling of peace

Each out breath, feel for the possibility of a greater ease

Let go of the tensions and stresses that are in the body and mind

Let go with the out breath

Trust the out breath

Trust the possibility of letting go, of surrender, of offering up all that you are.

I'm hoping the excitement at the first signs of autumn will fade soon and I'll get back to enjoying what's left of summer. Feet planted firmly in the moment. Don't worry - it's safe to call back, I won't be pulling crackers and talking turkey by mid week - I promise!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the mediation Claire. lol i had a newsletter from our local farm shop mentioning christmas ;0)

Hannah said...

Autumn is my favourite season and I always find myself wishing the last of summer away. I try to be present and in the moment but it's so hard isn't it!
I'm making progress though, my blog archive tells me this time last year I was sewing christmas decorations and this year I haven't done a thing yet, well - almost nothing ;o)

Claire said...

Ah, but then it's good to be prepared too Hannah :-) That's something that I struggle with when it comes to the whole living 'in the moment' business - some things may just creep up on me and I may not be ready :-)

Anonymous said...

The BBC are covering the Frankincense Trail on BBC2 . They did the Oman filming in June 2008 - some of the other stuff took longer. Kate Humble is such a good presenter that anything she does is fun to watch .