Wednesday 16 December 2009

Readings for a wet and wintery day

We made a conscious decision this morning to do nothing. It was discussed and agreed by all. Of course we didn't do nothing. We just did what we wanted to do.

I read aloud lots. We read about volcanoes, planets and fire. I read a thought provoking story called Mother Winter from Circle Round. We read quite a few winter poems in an attempt to choose a favourite to take to the poetry recital tomorrow. Talking Turkey by Benjamin Zephaniah came out on top throughout, although I'm not sure either Hermione or I will manage the accent to do it justice.

Be nice to yu turkeys dis Christmas
Cos' turkeys just wanna hav fun
Turkeys are cool, turkeys are wicked
An every turkey has a Mum.
Be nice to yu turkeys dis christmas,
Don't eat it, keep it alive,
It could be yu mate, an not on your plate
Say, Yo! Turkey I'm on your side.
I got lots of friends who are turkeys
An all of dem fear christmas time,
Dey wanna enjoy it, dey say humans destroyed it
An humans are out of dere mind,
Yeah, I got lots of friends who are turkeys
Dey all hav a right to a life,
Not to be caged up an genetically made up
By any farmer an his wife.

Turkeys just wanna play reggae
Turkeys just wanna hip-hop
Can yu imagine a nice young turkey saying,
'I cannot wait for de chop',
Turkeys like getting presents, dey wanna watch christmas TV,
Turkeys hav brains an turkeys feel pain
In many ways like yu an me.

I once knew a turkey called...Turkey
He said "Benji explain to me please,
Who put de turkey in christmas
An what happens to christmas trees?",
I said "I am not too sure turkey
But it�s nothing to do wid Christ Mass
Humans get greedy an waste more dan need be
An business men mek loadsa cash'.

Be nice to yu turkey dis christmas
Invite dem indoors fe sum greens
Let dem eat cake an let dem partake
In a plate of organic grown beans,
Be nice to yu turkey dis christmas
An spare dem de cut of de knife,
Join Turkeys United an dey'll be delighted
An yu will mek new friends 'FOR LIFE'.

We carried out another experiment today. I'm feeling quite inspired by a couple of links people here have provided me with. Also, as we approach Christmas things around here are winding down and we want to do relaxed and fun things, simple experiments we can all join in. It's great when Miles and Hermione can join in stuff together. I took some photographs and will record our experimentations soon.

This evening, when the children were both tucked up warm in their beds, I snook out leaving nana and Craig in charge, for dinner and a couple of drinks with a friend. We laughed about days gone by when we were young free and single, the days when we were both in a long term relationship but without children, and here now, both with a couple of children and bags under our eyes. Oh, how we wouldn't change it for the world! We left the restaurant and headed to the car. 'Oh no! What's that on top of my car?' she shrieked. Snow. Winter is well and truly here.

No comments: