Friday 13 April 2012

Trafficking

I read a very sad story this week; Slave Girl: I Was an Ordinary British Girl. I Was Kidnapped and Sold into Sex Slavery. This is My Horrific True Story

The book tells the story of a woman from Gateshead who having had a troubled childhood, responded to an advert in a national newspaper for an aupair to work in Amsterdam. Once in Amsterdam she was kidnapped and forced into prostitution.

Having spent time working with victims of domestic violence and child abuse, I consider myself to be rarely shocked, although always appalled, by such things. I found this to be a harrowing read; I was shocked, but I couldn't put it down because I think it's so important to know what does go on.

Having read the book I did a quick Google news search. Only this week the Guardian reported arrests for Human Trafficking and forced prostitution.

So much for the end of slavery! I guess we like to think we've progressed, moved on, grown in understanding and compassion; but sometimes I really do wonder. Things have changed, that's for certain. Perpetrators have become increasingly wily and covert, while many people have become increasingly blind to distasteful things. It's a bad combination.

2 comments:

knitty said...

its easy for most people not to think about things like this :/

Claire said...

Yes, that's true.