Monday 13 April 2009

Fruits and roots

I came across a saying the other day which I'd not heard before - 'by the fruits you shall know the roots'. It's very much like 'you reap what you sow' but I think I prefer this one.

Anyway, I've certainly enjoyed the fruits of our roots this weekend. Sometimes there are a few days in a row when life is all in order and it feels like negativity, and even the hum drum normality, just drops away. Here are some of the fruits we have enjoyed.

A delicious dinner with friends during which I tasted bread and butter pudding for the first time. Chocolate bread and butter pudding no less. I'm now wondering how I've managed all these years without it.

Finding Hermione at the window at 2.00am on Easter morning looking up at the full moon in search of the Easter Bunny - then snuggling up together with the curtains open and watching the full moon till we both drifted off.

The look of sheer delight on the children's faces when they realised the Easter Bunny had been - and what's more he had left me a chocolate egg this year as opposed to Good Housekeeping Magazine as he did last year.

Eggs - decorating, rolling and hunting for.

A full day working on my vegetable patch. Fired up and raring to go after having spent quite a bit of time recently with friends who work the land and operate an organic veg box scheme. I've picked up a fair few tips and ideas from them and enjoyed starting to put them into practice. My mangetout and nasturtium seeds are nestling in a drain pipe as we speak, just waiting to burst forth.

A restaurant family lunch with friends.

Joining with others to celebrate the season and the earth's abundance. Singing songs and sharing an alfresco feast.

The good fortune that no neighbours were at their windows when I dropped my trousers in the garden in search of a creepy crawly. Craig helped to retrieve a rather gruesome hard shelled green beetle for inside my trouser leg. I'd just spent a fair while crawling around in the bushes (also know as Miles' den). Shan't be doing that again for a while.

Finding the first green leaves on my potato plants. Yay!!!

Oh, it's hard to believe tomorrow will be back to normal, whatever that may be. Craig will be back at work, Hermione will be doing lessons again and I'll carry on sieving the soil in my carrot bed. Talking about beds I'm off to mine now with a book which I've bought for Hermione about the plague. Sounds grim but I'm hoping it won't be too heavy. It looks good and I'll be able to tell you more tomorrow.

Wishing you all a wonderful week full of glorious fruits and roots!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats a really lovley positive post :0)