Wednesday 1 April 2009

Vitriolic shopkeepers in a climate of fear

Well, where do I begin? I’m going to skip the bit about how tired I’m feeling because that just seems par for the course these days and is getting bit boring. Just because I’m knackered doesn’t mean I’m not ecstatic and loving life, so I guess it’s not that important.

Hermione was invited to a celebration with friends today in a quaint little market town many miles from here. After a quick swoony moment of cake stand envy I left Hermione happy and content and took myself off to sneak a quick child free shopping excursion. I popped into a shop to buy incense and a couple of cards. The lady behind the counter was ever so pleasant and helpful. On my way out I asked if there were any charity shops in town. That was when things changed. I would not have imagined that such an innocent question could illicit such a venomous response were it not that I had heard it with my own ears. Apparently the town has lots of charity shops and the independent retailers don’t like them because they pay lower rates, most of their staff are volunteers and items are priced below their commercial value. Errmmm, yes, I hate to state the obvious but is that not the nature of charity shops? I thanked her for making free with her opinions and left, not wanting to spoil my excursion by entering into an argument. Thinking about it later I pondered how fearful someone must feel to behave in that way. Perhaps it is understandable that she may be fearful in this economic climate, but really, that’s no way to make it better.

Anyway, I’m delighted to say that I did eventually find a cup cake stand to fit the bill. Here it is. Do you like it? Saddly that is not my tidy kitchen and they are not my cakes. It's the picture from the Homebase website which is where I bought it from.



There was talk amongst parents at the celebration about how cup cakes are so ‘now’. One lady knew of a local stockist who charges £2.50 each for cup cakes – and they’re just basic sponge with lots of cream swirled on top. Now, even for someone as partial to cake as I am that is absolutely crackers!

This evening Hermione and Craig went on a brief woodland walk (Craig doesn’t ‘do’ nature) to pick some blossoms. They picked the smelliest blossoms I have ever encountered. My kitchen smells like a lift close to a nightclub on a Monday morning. Urgghhh. Having said that they are ever so pretty so I’m going to keep them and just burn the incense that I bought earlier.

The spring decorations are coming along nicely. I know it’s still quite some time to Easter but we do have a tendency to get over excited here. Always one step ahead when it comes to these things.

A picture I painted with a little bit of help from Miles and a lovely card which I picked up today. It says on the front, "Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."



Hermione announced this evening that if I listen very carefully to her and we approach lessons in the way she suggests, I will soon be a ‘proper’ home educator. I’m so pleased someone is finally going to show me the way, and by virtue of the fact it’s Hermione I think I must have taught her well *grin*. Seriously though, I fear there hasn’t been enough going on in the education stakes round here recently. Time to spend a bit more time at home focusing on whatever the topic of the day may be.

Things are coming along nicely in the garden. Just been looking at the weather forecast and I think there could be a frost risk here on Saturday night. I hope nothing is blighted.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hermione announced this evening that if I listen very carefully to her and we approach lessons in the way she suggests, I will soon be a ‘proper’ home educator."

Hee hee I love that!

Bridget said...

When Hermoine has taught you, could she teach me please?

Claire said...

I may hire her out as an education consultant - that is when she's finished sweeping the chimney of course :-)

Anonymous said...

Did you come here lol? That sounds very like the response you would get, what some shop keepers don't seem to realise is that charity shops attract people onto the high street that then buy other things and a place with lots of empty shops aren't attractive to customers and businesses