Thursday 16 April 2009

Henny Penny I am no more

I am so excited about all of the possibilities that are unfolding on the home ed front for us right now.

As some of you guys will know, towards the end of last year I had a full on Henny Penny moment - I truly believed that the sky was falling down onto my head. Fears of isolation and social exclusion saw me wearing down the carpet pile at unearthly hours.

Thankfully my fears have not materialised. Far from it to be honest. As one door closed a dozen new ones opened and I feel brimming with enthusiasm right now. I think that's possibly why I'm so tired these days - I'm lying awake at night thinking, planning and generally being really excited about life and new things that are going on. It's great!!

I know I have spoken before about our home ed hall which we can use for £4 per hour but here are some photographs that I want to share. Pictures of some of the great Steiner bits and pieces which keep the little ones happy there and also the lovely little outdoor space.






There's also a kitchen, a piano and more. I think it's great.

Anyway, since the turn of the year we have managed to establish a monthly Book Club, drama sessions and movement to music sessions here in the hall for home ed families. This is in addition to the French class that was already going on here. I think it's fabulous that we have this building at such an accessible cost and have come across excellent folks who are very experienced and knowledgeable who are willing to lead sessions also at low costs.

Today I was contacted by a local artist to arrange a meeting to discuss an art project for local home ed children. We hope to arrange something to include some theory on art history, demonstrations of art techniques, time and guidance in creating a personal work of art and then the opportunity for the children to hold their own exhibition in a 'proper' art studio. Like I said I'm ever so excited!
I'm not sure I told you about it but last week we went to a juggling workshop for local home ed children too. We had a fantastic day, even making our own juggling balls from extra thick balloons and rice. If anyone wants to know more about the juggling balls just say - they were cheap and easy to make.
Goodness, so much going on. It's just as well I have all of this to think about because the weather has been dismal the past couple of days which means I've not had the chance to do as much in the garden. When my head's swirling with these things at least I'm not willing seeds to germinate and grow before my very eyes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claire I think its brilliant:0)
very pleased that all is well and working out for you :0)

Clare said...

Hi Claire, your hall looks brilliant! It's really great to read such a positive post and outlook - gives me hope :)