Monday 9 February 2009

Scarves for Survivors

Debs over at a Simple Life has set up a venture called Scarves for Survivors. She is making scarves herself, many from reclaimed wool and selling them to raise money for Rape Crisis. I think this is a fabulous idea and hope that you will all pop along, check out what's on offer and tell your friends and family about it.

Having spent most of my adult life working with women in need, in the capacity of solicitor, counsellor and homeopath I know how desperately these organisations need funds. The trouble is that many people don't want to talk about rape. It's not nice. It's not pleasant. It doesn't make for polite conversation at the bus stop or have the 'feel good factor' of a gift donation for the third world to purchase a goat (another very worthy cause I hasten to add).

Please support people like Debs in bringing rape out of the closet. It happens. It's real and there are women out there at this very moment in desperate need of help.

On a different note, I want to thank Debs for giving me the Lemonade Award for bloggers with great attitude or gratitude.


I don't know many people in the blogosphere so instead of choosing folks to pass this award onto I just want to say a huge thanks to all you folks out there who let their attitude be a positive guiding light for others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks Claire! You've inspired me to go and get started on another scarf instead of sitting here at the computer all evening! And thanks again for the linkage, I really appreciate it - I've been bowled over by people's response to the project, I was nervous about it before I launched it, but everyone has been so lovely and supportive - it's great. :) xxx