Friday 20 March 2009

Flip flops n socks and other musings

Craig - You're not going out in your flip flops are you?
Me - Yes, it's okay, I've got my socks on.
Craig - That's not okay, it's worse.
Me - Hmm, yes there's three holes in one and one hole in the other.
Craig - *rolls eyes*

Yes, I have to say I did proceed to go out in my flip flops and socks. Well, they're not really flip flops, more of a grubby lilac suede open toed mule, and I wasn't going far.

I've pondered this flip flop incident today. It happened earlier yesterday evening - before the crisp incident. What's worse, having a husband who thinks opening a packet of crisps constitutes making dinner or having a wife who will nip out to meditation (a bare foot event anyway) in socks and flip flops?

I've concluded that the crisps are by far the worst. I've had many dress codes in life from doc marten boots and baggy jumpers to court gown and tabs. The flip flops just represent where I'm at right now, it'll change again no doubt. However, Craig has always been crap on the kitchen front and always will be.

So, what else have I done today other than ponder crisps and flip flops?

I've restored order in the playroom. A thankless task which I won't be evident at all by the end of the weekend. On the plus side it does mean that children with dust allergies can once again come to play.

I've taken all of the art work down from one 'board' ready to fill it up with exciting educational things. Not done this in a while and the big empty space is looking quite menacing right now.


While I was busy in the playroom Hermione made a victoria sponge cake herself from scratch. I didn't have to help with the scales or oven. She's now independent in the cake stakes. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Interesting decor I thought.


Work started on the raised beds at my shared patch today. I'm ever so excited. Need to start giving more thought as to what to get in them. I'm thinking peas for starters - partly because I have loads germinating at the moment plus I've heard they do well in raised beds. Also thinking about a fair patch of perpetual spinach - I love that stuff - the way you just keep cutting it down and it just keeps coming right on back at you!

Miles made an indoor spring garden today. It's not looking at it's finest here. It's basically a big clod of grass that I dug out of the flower border *sigh* on top of a frisby, adorned with sticks, stones and empty egg shells filled with compost and grass seed. Miles will enjoy watching the seeds sprout away - and once they have perhaps we can draw a face on the egg shells and he can play barber shops with them- cut and come again hair!


Density has been high on the agenda. Miles has been discovering what things sink and float whilst almost flooding the kitchen. Hermione has been considering the density of differing liquids and spent a long while trying to blend oil and water in a jar and then watching disappointedly as it once again separated.



We wandered out to buy a cookery magazine as Hermione has invited a couple of family friends over for candlelit dinner (sounds ever so Hyacinth Bucket don't you think?) to celebrate Earth Hour and she's in charge of the menu. That should keep her busy planning for a while.

Oh well, must dash. I need to sort out out the wholefood co-op. I kind of co-ordinate a group wholesale order of foods which is great but it can be a bit of a pain checking VAT and stuff - particularly when you can't find you calculator! I can recommend it though as a way of bulk buying organic wholefoods. I also have the urge to make some spring faeries out of clothes pegs tonight so really must fly.

1 comment:

stefndawniy said...

the cake looks yummy - well done Hermione :-)