Saturday 14 March 2009

'Stand n Tan' and stoned to death

One night this week I went to see Stand n Tan performed by Open Clasp Theatre Company. I came across this theatre group years ago when I worked with women's groups. They perform their own material to highlight important social issues in a way which leaves people thinking. It's certainly not all doom and gloom though. By and large the shows are what you would consider to be a comedy. It's very clever the way in which they effectively tackle thorny issues while at the same time giving everyone a rip roaring laugh.

Anyway, one of the major issues tackled in Stand n Tan was asylum seekers. The asylum seeker in the play was a lady from Iran and she spoke of women being stoned to death for adultery. I decided to have a Google and see if this had happened recently or was about to happen. Right now eight women are at risk of being stoned to death in Iran. I'm shocked and appalled. You can read more about these women here and you can email the Iranian government about it here.

If you are up here in the chilly north I would urge you to look out for Stand n Tan at a theatre near you. I think they are going to South Shields at the end of this month and this play is billed as suitable from age thirteen and upwards. In my view it's very educational and provides an excellent talking point for asylum seeking, immigration, prejudices, homosexuality, dangers of smoking and more.

2 comments:

Mam said...

I tend to think of 'asylum seekers' as an issue irrelevant to me generally, yet one of my best friends is married to a man who came here from Iran at age ten because his parents had to flee or be killed. They still can't go back to visit over 30 years later.

A generation later, my friend is just another Geordie. His parents pine for their culture though, and try to live as Iranians... whatever that means.

I'll check out the dates in South Shields.

Hazel

Claire said...

Yes, I also rarely think about the issue, particularly since moving to a semi rural area where we don't see asylum seekers (or anyone other than locals) very often. I think I was much more aware when we lived in a city. It was a bit of a wake up call for me.

I hope you do manage to cach it at South Shields. I also hope you enjoy it - I worry when I recommend something in case other folks don't share my taste.