Monday 26 January 2009

Fire bowls

Hermione thoroughly enjoys making small garden fires. She discovered this last autumn and has spent many an hour stoking smouldering leaves, gathering sticks and attempting to toast anything form rice cakes to chocolate ever since.

I spotted this fire bowl and cooking stand while browsing Myriad online.




I'm not sure what to do. I'm a little worried about the safety issues - but then she messes with fire anyway. I'm also a little alarmed at the cost - perhaps a bucket style barbecue would be a cheaper and reasonable option.

Hmmm, pondering. I think it's great for children to explore the elements but it's not always easy to know how and when. Still pondering.

4 comments:

Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

I remember coming across these in Myriad too and thought how lovely, but very expensive, they were. Great for camping of course, but just for the garden we use a chunk of breezeblock (if that's how you spell it - we found a block buried in our garden borders) and a number of ordinary bricks to build a small fire pit. Everyone loves it (although hubby always has a small moan about it ruining the grass), and if you move it all away to a non-grass area the next day, it doesn't really ruin your garden (actually I think it makes it look quite nice). Safety - we usually stay around the children when they're poking around in the fire, whether it's the pit or a bonfire. The more we use it, the more they become aware of the dangers and respect the fire because of this.

Claire said...

I know, I just don't really understand how they feel justified in charging that. I'm pleased someone else thought that and it's not just me being tight :-)

I think we may well construct something out of breeze blocks too. That way we can make it in a way that seems most suited to the space/child too I guess.

It's certainly right I think that the more they are around fire the more they come to respect it - and that has to be a good thing.

Anonymous said...

I've seen these too, I thought they were expensive.

Anonymous said...

We got Nathan a mini barbecue bucket, I did stand over him the first time but I think I made him more nervous, but I've discovered I can stand inside and check from my room.