Saturday 31 January 2009

Sad but not alone

A few people have asked me what I'm doing this weekend and they have all laughed when I've told them I was heading off to the Organic Growers Potato Fayre.


Well, I may be sad but I certainly wasn't alone! The fayre was advertised as being on from 10.00am till 2.00pm but when we arrived at about 11.30 am we were just in time to bag up the very last few spuds.


It was an absolute sell out! The organisers told me that when they opened there were ques outside.


Unfortunately there were no standard main crops left so we will have early and late spuds this year. In some ways this is good though - we'll have earlies when there's not that much else cropping, then no potato crop when everything is in full flow and a second potato crop late in the growing season when everything else is slowing right down.











I'm slightly miffed at not getting to pick and choose but at the same time I think it's a great sign that more and more people are joining the home grown revolution.


Miles and I are going to head up to the attic soon to lay them out for chitting. It's light, not too warm and not too cool up there so they should be fine. I'm just going to put them on newspaper for now and will try to get hold of a couple of large egg trays like you see in greengrocers next week. That will stop them from rolling and breaking the shoots off.

3 comments:

Elizabeth (My Reading World) said...

We've gone to patato fayres before and were quite surprised by how many people go and how quickly they sell out.

Claire said...

I know, everyone has laughed at me this week but really they are quite hip and happening places :-)

Probably a lot to do with the fact they are much cheaper than garden centres and you can choose just as many as you want - or that's how it works at this one.

Anonymous said...

Things they are a changing...yay