Sunday 11 January 2009

January Learning Objectives

I'm not quite as organised as I would like to be but I think I'm almost there - almost set to start this 'block' (I'm going to call it that as although I think I've just prepped till the end of the month I'll see how it goes).
Briefly our 'learning objectives', (yes I have been reading these educational sites again) for this block are as follows.
  • An introduction to World War Two using classic literature, worksheets and various online resources.
  • A deeper understanding of the water cycle.
  • A deeper understanding of the need all living things have for water.
  • An awareness of what happens to water when it freezes, condenses etc - the changing forms of a single matter.
  • An awareness of water usage within the home.
  • The role of reservoirs (and possibly a reservoir visit)
  • An introduction to Hinduism, Judaism, Islam and Atheism.
  • To appreciate the difference between spirituality and religion.
  • Understanding, tolerance and acceptance of a broad spectrum of religious beliefs.
  • A detailed look at some Old Testament Bible Stories (with particular emphasis on the story of creation - which will in time be compared and contrasted with an in depth look at the big bang theory).
  • To consider the effect the introduction of photography had upon art.
  • Detailed appreciation of some of the works of Claude Monet.
  • To become familiar with the location, basic appearance and basic functions of many major organs of the body.
  • To become familiar with the seven continents and four major oceans.
  • An introduction to 'Word'. Creating a file, saving a file and opening a file.
  • Something to do with China as we celebrate Chinese New Year.
  • An understanding that there is more to running a shop than using all the money to spend on yourself. Looking at keeping records, planning to buy new materials, profits after material and postage costs etc.

In addition to this we will still be plodding on with our basics - maths and language. We will still be going to french group and music academy. Oh, and of course it wouldn't be life here without an abundance of crafts and cookery!

I'm hoping to do the above in a light hearted and fun way. I have made some basic resources for geography and religious studies. Below are some of the other resources that I'm really looking forward to working with.



I really like these cards which show the name, location, appearance and basic function of the major organs.




Any Blogger experts here who can tell me why this damn thing never formats properly these days?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have those cards, they are great fun. That seems like an awful lot for one month, you are very brave committing to it here lol. What do you mean formatting? The font?

stefndawniy said...

wow even busier :)
i love those cards claire , where did you find them , love that story of painting too - might just treat us x

Claire said...

*seems like an awful lot for one month* Yes, it might take longer than a month but these are the things Hermione has asked to do in January. Perhaps that in itself will be a lesson for her - things take time ;-)

With my blog I'm inding these days that I write my post and everything looks fine but then I publish it and things don't stay where they were - they go on different lines if that makes sense.