Sunday 4 January 2009

Stressed

Every January I tend to have a bit of a stress about something. Thankfully this year it's not the 'get fit and loose weight' kick. I've given up on that one. I start every year with that in mind but it never materialises so I'm not even going to bother thinking about it this year.

So, with the wight loss shenanigans out of the window I've turned my attentions to education and Hermione's desire for more structure. I've had sleepless nights trying figure out what exactly we're doing. Last week I thought I would plan three months in advance. I now think I'll be happy if I have planned a month in advance when we make a start a week tomorrow.

For anyone not interested in home ed I suggest you steer clear of this place for the next few days as I imagine there will be much talk of plans, resources and Amazon orders that seem to take for ever to arrive!



Added to the above I've today had the stress of having to cajole Craig into collecting the greenhouse which I acquired through our local exchange system. He's not a keen gardener and doesn't share my enthusiasm for these things. It took him four hours to take it down in the freezing cold and he returned home rather moany. I reserved sympathy because I find it hard to believe it really did take that long - I think he will have stopped off at McDonalds or somewhere for a skive.

We have moved the hen house to fit in with our greenhouse designs and have advertised on Freecycle for some slabs to put it on. We'll trim some trees back this week and hopefully it will be ready for assembly on his next day off work *grin*.
I asked the kids what I should grow in the greenhouse. Miles suggested melons and Hermione just wondered if it had to be fruit or vegetables - 'Can you not grow something else?' Ahem..like what exactly?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some slabs you can have, they are really heavy duty ones, when do you need them for and how many do you need? I still live in hope that my two would crave some structure one day.

Claire said...

I've mailed you :-)

Anonymous said...

I think January is a very difficult month. Not sure f I can help with the structure -fee free tomail i you want.

stefndawniy said...

tomatoes and chillies did well in ours 2007 but 2008 was abysmal.
good luck with it

Claire said...

Thanks Amanda. I'll shout if I get stuck. I think I'm more scatter brained and not quite with it at the moment as opposed to really stuck - hopefully I will pull it together soon.

Dawny, we find that too - one thing does well one year then really cr*p the next. Odd isn't it. Here's to a productive greenhouse year.