Wednesday 17 December 2008

Candy Canes

I'm pleased to report the mood has certainly been more mellow here today.

We looked at the history of candy canes. I was quite surprised to learn that while many Christmas traditions have pagan origins, this tradition is steeped in Christian symbolism. According to legend, a candymaker wanted to make a confection to honor Christ's birth. It had to be hard candy to represent the church being built on solid rock. Because Jesus is known as the 'Good Shepherd', it was formed in the shape of a shepherd's staff (and turning it upside down, it was a "J" for Jesus). The three small red stripes represented the scourging Jesus suffered on his way to the cross. The one large red stripe represented the blood Jesus shed as payment for our sins. The white stripes represented the virgin birth and the sinless nature of Christ.

While Craig and Hermione had a jaunt out this morning Miles and I decorated the tree with candy canes while listening to Bob Marley tunes - not very festive I know but it fitted the bill perfectly.




We arranged beads and baubles in tea cups.


We went on to wrap some presents but I soon came to doubt my wisdom of putting a three year old in charge of the sellotape.

This afternoon Hermione and I met up with two other home ed families. We made fimo faeries, including a candy cane faerie from fimo. We also made some fimo candy canes. They are lovely and I'd like to show you them but they're in the oven baking. We chatted whilst sipping hot mulled wine (non alcoholic I hasten to add) and munching chocolates. Bliss - crafts, chocolates, friends and a steaming cup. Just what I needed.
This evening Hermione and I took a stroll around the village to admire the Christmas lights. We don't decorate the outside of our house but I'm pleased other folks do. There's something quite magical about a walk out on a crisp night to see twinkling lights.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Sorry to hear you have been having a tough time (((hugs)))sounds like just the kind of day you needed.Like you I appreciate the effort others go to decorating their homes,Emily and Alan have a tradition of walking trough our village to see the decorated houses.One in particular had the whole garden decorated with figures and was a 3d wonderland at night:-) They have now left the village and it has been sadly missed.xx

Bridget said...

Usually the week before Christmas we walk around the block with the children and dogs to look at all the houses and the lights. It is quite magical.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the houses all lit up, we put some really tacky stuff outside but I do worry about the cost. I'm getting some solar powered ones for next year which will ease my concience a little.