Tuesday 16 December 2008

George Orwell

What’s he got to do with anything? You might well ask!

Today, as I sipped tea between sobs, bemoaning the fact that some things really aren’t what they seem, a friend dispensed wise words. ‘Never forget Claire, all pigs were created equal but some are more equal than others.’ How true. How very true.

Thankfully that was just part of the day, part which I’d rather not dwell on – why talk about that when I can talk about all of the good things that have happened *grin*.

We have been doing lots of great things over the past couple of days. In addition to our usual activities Hermione has also played a part in a drama performance at nana’s church. She enjoyed it a lot and is more enthusiastic than ever about being actively involved in the drama group which is starting soon within our home ed community.

We have made the Christmas cake.




We made pomanders and seasonal words from air drying clay.




We read Jack Frost by C E Pike

Look out! Look out!
Jack Frost is about
He s after our fingers and toes;
And all through the night,
The gay little sprite
Is working where nobody knows.
He’ll climb each tree,
So nimble is he,
His silvery powder he’ll shake.
To windows he’ll creep
And while we re asleep
Such wonderful pictures he’ll make.
Across the grass
He’ll merrily pass,
And change all its greenness to white.
Then home he will go
And laugh ho, ho ho!
What fun I have had in the night.


Our order arrived from here. I’m ever so impressed with their range, prices and delivery. I ordered online on Saturday and my parcel arrived late yesterday. Lots of stocking fillers but also a big pack of exercise books. We’ve never done the exercise book thing before but Hermione has asked for them. Does this mean I’ve climbed a notch in the world of formal education? Seems ever so serious *grin*.

I have organized two gifts for close family without paying a penny and without stepping out of the door. What’s even better is that I think the gifts far surpass anything I could have bought if I tried. I’m very excited and look forward to telling you more about it after Christmas.

I now have a not so little black dress ready for the functions I’m attending with Craig this Christmas. I also have high strappy shoes and a matching handbag for the first time since I became a mummy. What do you think of the dress? That's not me modelling it by the way!

I’m worried about my arms – bingo wings and all that you know. A friend who is more stylish than I can ever hope to be came round today to give me some fashion tips and generously has offered to let me borrow a very flattering shawl come shrug come scarf garment.

We went to visit new friends in our village (big wave to Jenny and Peter if you’re reading this). We had a lovely time chatting and admiring their wonderful creative textiles and wildlife photography – all whilst munching on delicious home made shortbread. We are going back soon and Hermione is going to learn how to make the shortbread – which I’m delighted about because it tasted so much better than any I ever manage to produce!
I'm doing a bit of brisk trading with my crochet right now which is good. Two parcels to post tomorrow. Lots of education planning going on in my head. Also lots of organising in terms of doing things for the wider home ed community. Some really good stuff. I'm meeting with some people from a college in January to talk about funding and resources for home ed culture and music sessions. I used to try to be proactive in organising things before I had Miles but haven't done as much in a while. Time to start over I think and give what I can - or at least to the extent that time and energy permits!
All in all it’s not an easy time right now, but as I’m sure I have said before, it’s at times like this that I feel so blessed by the support of my friends. I’ve so much more to sing about than cry about and that is what I must remember. As another wise friend once told me it's only when you trip and stumble that you realise just how strong the arms that hold you are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dress sounds lovely, love the craft things you have made, so very talented.

Elizabeth (My Reading World) said...

A shrug is a very good idea!

Hope whatever had you down is better. But do concentrate on the good things!

Tech said...

hope you're feeling better xx