Sunday 28 December 2008

Keeping busy

Thank you ever so much everyone for your kind comments below. We're doing alright. All keeping busy - it tends to be the coping strategy of choice around here.

I dug the last of the roots out of the garden this afternoon. Here are a few jerusalem artichokes. I don't know what we'll do when these have gone. They've become a real hit in our veggie stew with dumplings.

Dug up the last of the parsnips too for what they're worth. The roots have all separated probably due to the clay soil we have here. I had been warned that the gentleman who lived here before us tried for years to grow carrots and parsnips without success - but I had to try and see for myself.


I've been rummaging through my seed box too and making plans. I'm feeling really fired up about my growing plans for this coming year. As some of you know I have had my name down for an allotment for a while. Well, I now have a much better solution. A couple of friends who live nearby don't feel able to manage their garden and this is a concern for them. So, we've agreed that I'll clear it, dig it over and plant veggies which we can then share. I get more space to cultivate and more veg - they get a tidy garden and fresh veg from their own patch - a win win situation!

I have been thinking a lot about Montessori materials. I really am taken with some of the geography resources but not quite so struck on the prices. I'm in the process of acquiring some corkboard and am going to try my hand at making some of these pin map puzzles.


I'll report back when I've done it but in the meantime you can read the instructions here if you fancy giving it a try yourself.

I've been making felt hearts stuffed with lavender and rose petals. It's ever so therapeutic - the sort of sewing you can do with one eye on the tv, one eye on your chocolate and whilst also having a natter with your other half! I think I may turn them into some sort of garland for the mantle when I have enough. The heat rising from the fire should help disperse the sent of the petals.




Also been admiring this wonderful fabric postcard given to me by a friend. She made it herself. I'd not come across these before and I'm quite taken with it. I'd like to have a try at making them sometime. Just think how lovely it would be to receive one through the post.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the postcard :0)

i think keeping busy is a good way to deal things - well thats what I do!

Love the hearts :0)