Thursday 18 December 2008

Gingerbread houses, hens and stuff

Before I start on today, here is a picture of one of the fimo candy canes and the candy cane faerie we made yesterday. He is so tiny that he hasn't photographed particularly well and another which we made has come out even more blurred on camera.


Today started with a rather worrying call about nana's brother. We have spent much of the day fearing the worst and nana has been at the hospital a long while, but I'm pleased to say that by late afternoon the signs were a little brighter. Healing thoughts, energy and prayers gratefully received from anyone with any to spare.

I was very upset that nana had to visit alone today. She really could have done with some support, but I awoke rather sniffly today and we agreed that it was probably best not to take my sniffles into a hospital. I'm also supporting a silhouette which makes me look a good six months pregnant. Stress always gives me stomach problems, and goodness have I had stress and chaff to deal with this week! I'm now wondering how I will squeeze something resembling this

into my party frock over the weekend. I may have to resort to wearing a sack after all!



We read about the history of gingerbread houses today - the Brothers Grimm and Hansel and Gretel. We attempted to make our own gingerbread houses but after a wee while I wish we'd just iced gingerbread biscuits instead. We just couldn't get the blinking things to stay together. What's the secret? Super glue in the icing? I was getting rather exasperated and kept opening the back door for some air but whenever I did the pesky Henrietta hen darted in and had a bite out of my peace lily*sigh*. Here's the rascal caught in the act.


Feeling rather disillusioned with the ginger bread houses we decorated fir cones with snow sprinkles and chopped clementine slices for drying. I love the smell of the clementines as they dry.




Unfortunately I was so caught up in fir cones and clementines that I forgot about the hens and they roosted in the trees because they couldn't get into the eglu. Finding Henrietta was easy but we have been unable to find Omlet who is black. I hope she's ok where ever she is. Feeling every bit the irresponsible hen owner and will be horrified if foxy loxy finds her.
We are absolutely reveling in seasonal crafts and social gatherings but I'm starting to be quite mindful of the fact that January is looming and I have promised myself and Hermione that we will be doing a lot more formal stuff come the new year. She's ever so keen and I'm starting to worry in case I don't pull everything together and meet the mark. I never really thought I would be in this position. It's not quite what I envisaged but it's what Hermione wants and I think it's what I would like too - if only I can manage to provide her with all of the learning opportunities and stimulation she's looking for.

6 comments:

stefndawniy said...

sending you lots of vibes and prayers for nana's brother and also lots of finding vibes for Omlet and fingers crossed x

Claire said...

Omlet has reappeared this morning. I'll have to have words with her about staying out all night :-)

Anonymous said...

lots of vibes and thoughts for Nana's brother.

naughty omlet!

Claire, very impressed with the crafts :0)

stress - easy to say but try not let things get to you, this time of year is stressful enough....

The dress is gorgous wear it and enjoy dressing up :0)

Bridget said...

Claire- I wondered where that picture of Malcolm went!!

Claire said...

Poor Malcolm :-)

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers for your uncle, good luck with the more formal path, I would find that extremely difficult if my two wanted to go that way.