Sunday 7 December 2008

Great trading

I had a fabulous time at our Durham Exchange gathering on Friday night. Durham Exchange is a timebank where members can trade goods and services for a community currency. You can find our more about timebanks generally here – the site also tells you where your nearest one is. You can find out more about the local one here in Durham by emailing me.

I went along with a box of woollen jewellery and a chocolate cake to share. I spent a very pleasant couple of hours chatting with folks there, enjoying delicious food they had bought and I left with the following.

Half a box of woollen jewellery. I traded a few pieces and took instructions for two specially commissioned pieces. Still lots left in my little stock collection. I only thought on to take my jewellery and now wish I’d remembered to take some cakes. Ho hum, I’ll save those for next time.

A greenhouse. I have been checking out polytunnels for a while but have concerns about the wisdom of that plan seeing as we live on the top of a very windy hill surrounded by trees. Even assuming the thing didn’t become airborne I suspect I’d be regularly repairing the cover. When a member of the Exchange said he had a greenhouse to trade it felt like Christmas had come early. I haven’t seen it yet but I’m ever so excited. Apparently it’s in fabulous condition with shelving and stuff too.

A handmade pottery plate which looks absolutely fabulous on my kitchen table. The lady who made this is a member of the Exchange. She is extremely talented. She is only partially sighted and I suspect that may account for the exquisite details of texture. She moulded the plate on a rhubarb leaf from her neighbours garden. I love it. It’s so full of character and expression.



A handmade jug made by the lady who made the plate. Like the plate it has lots of wonderful little details including a little butterfly at the base of the handle. I tried to photograph it but it didn’t come out clearly. I feel really blessed to have met this wonderfully talented lady and have a couple of pieces of her work to call my own – and it didn’t cost me a penny of ‘real’ money, just some community currency.

A handmade organic bathbomb also made by a member of the Exchange. Hermione has her eye on this.


A children’s dictionary. I think Hermione is ready to start figuring out how to use one.



Some excellent remote controlled Mega Blocks vehicles which are going to Santa for Miles *grin*

Not bad eh for a couple of hours spent chatting with friends and tucking into a lovely shared supper?

Some of the other things which were on offer were flute lessons, lifts, three course meal cooked and delivered to your home, massage and more. Very tempting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats wonderful :0)

Jenny Bear said...

you will have to tell me more about this!

Claire said...

I'll tell you all about it on Tuesday.

Lisa said...

Not one near us unfortunately but great idea - love the plate!

Lisa :0)